Saturday 15 June 2013

Jennifer Lopez Introduces TV's Newest Modern Family With The Fosters



What's love got to do with it? Everything! Lesbian couple Stef (Teri Polo) and Lena (Sherri Saum) head a multiethnic family of foster and biological kids on the new ABC Family drama The Fosters (premiering Monday, June 3 at 9/8c). Executive producer Jennifer Lopez made it all happen — and tells us why.


TV Guide Magazine: You're already everywhere. Why add this gig to your crazy-busy life?
Jennifer Lopez:
 It's irresponsible not to do TV like this if you get the chance. Like a lot of people, I was raised on idyllic shows like The Brady Bunch and Eight Is Enough. We need to put out the message that a family doesn't need to have one mom, one dad, one dog and a picket fence. A family is about love and acceptance.

TV Guide Magazine: Did you grow up around foster kids?
Lopez:
 They were all over the Bronx, but I didn't really understand things then. Now I do. The foster-care system is often portrayed negatively on TV. The Fosters says it's actually a great system that can work beautifully. That was important to me. I also love that our two lead characters are lesbians and it doesn't matter. Their suitability as parents isn't questioned. They're just good people.

TV Guide Magazine: Can anyone relate to this show?
Lopez:
 I know I do! When you divorce, like I did, you can't help but think, "I'm so terrible. I really messed up. What's wrong with me?" But at the end of the day, my kids are happy. Their dad [Marc Anthony] loves them. I love them. We accept that things didn't turn out perfect. That's family. It comes in many different forms. You make it work.

No comments:

Post a Comment